Abt 1612 - 1692
||Robert MUNRO, VII of Ardullie [1, 2] |
||VII of Ardullie |
- Estimate: This birth date is an estimate based on the birth dates of nearest relatives or contemporaries, or based on other clues such as christening date, marriage date, birth order, etc.
||18 Sep 2013 |
||Isabella ROSS, b. Abt 1614, d. Yes, date unknown |
|>||1. Alexander MUNRO, of Ardullie, b. Abt 1637, d. Feb 1691|
| ||2. James MUNRO, b. Abt 1641, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||3. Hugh MUNRO, b. Est 1643, d. Yes, date unknown|
|>||4. Andrew MUNRO, b. Est 1645|
| ||5. Robert MUNRO, b. Est 1647, d. 1692, Battle Of, Hogstein, Flanders |
|>||6. Janet MUNRO, b. Est 1649, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||7. Isabella MUNRO, b. Est 1651|
||20 Jan 2009 |
- Robert's eldest brother, Alexander, was killed in Germany and his next brother had no children, so Ardullie was disponed to him. He married the daughter of Alexander Ross of Pitkery.
He was killed at the battle of Hogstein or Steinkirk in 1692.
Ref: The Munro Tree (1734) - M/52
Ref: "The Munro Tree (1734)" by R. W. Munro - M/51
"Hugh of Ardullie married Helen daughter to Clunes Bailzie of Cromartie by whom he had Alexr. and John who left no succession Robert William Hector and 4 daughters."
"...John m Isobel dr to Alexander Gordon of Carrel without issue, suc. to to Ardullie and disponed it to brother Robert."
Ref: "The Munro Tree (1734)" by R. W. Munro - M/52
"Robert of Ardullie married Isobell daughter to Alexr. Ross of pitkery by whom he had Alexr. James Hugh Andrew in Coul litster and Robert and a daughter Janet married to Teanard."
"Of Robert's younger sons, James was extractor of deeds in Edinburgh and Tutor of Ardullie after elder brother's death and m his sister-in-law Sarah Cockburn; Hugh and Andrew learnt dyeing in Holland and had army contract after Revolution -- Hugh m Dutchwoman Elleta Bone, Andrew m 1 Ann Ogg and had Alexander and James then Kate Beaton dr of John of Culnaskeath and had John, Robert, Hector, William, Hugh and 3 drs; Robert k at battle of Hogstein or Steinkirk 1692; dr Janet m Farquhar of Teanaird. Andrew, settled 1716 at Coul in Alness parish, was probably compiler or sponsor of Coul MS giving his family's descent from Hugh of Coul."
The following is a transcription of RW "Billy" Munro's genealogy notes:
ĞiğAlexander Munro of Ardullie d. 1691 Eldest son of Robert Munro of Ardullie & Isabella Ross; suc. father, & had charter of Ardullie 19 Dec 1684; educ. Edinburgh, writer, one of the 'under clerks or assistant clerk of session; subscribed test 1681; burgess of Edinburgh 1688; clerk to the Council of War from 1689 to death in Feb 1691 (nominated by Gen Hugh MacKay, a Commissioner of Supply for Ross-shire 1689); m. Jean or Jane Cockburn (who survived him) with issue - George (d. young), Hugh (Suc.), Isabella (d. inf.), 'Alex M, tutor of Ardullie' 1698 prob error for brother James (tutor 1703, 1704)
Munro Tree M/53; Mackenzie 397-9; Chronological & Genealogical Account of the Ancient & Honorable Family of Foulis, Inverness (1805) p. 30; Foulis Writs nos. 282, 283 [293 - as tutor]; 3 Register of the Privy Council of Scotland, vii 804; xiii 105, 518; xiv 313; xv 494; xvi 391, 477; Roll of Edinburgh Burgesses 1406-1700 (Scottish Record Society) 356; Services of Heirs (1710/19); Commissariot Record of Edinburgh: Register of Testaments - 7 Apr 1691; Reg. Mag. Sig. , vol. 69, fol 67 - MS; National Library of Scotland MSS 1393/ (1788/87, 95-6) - See bro James; Records of Cockburn Family (1913) p. 144; W. McGill, Old Ross-shire and Scotland, vol i, no 263 & p. 402; Lord Fountainhall Historical Notices II Tax; NMRS Photograph RC/813 - Monogram Stones at Ardullie (AM - 1C); W. McGill, Old Ross-shire and Scotland, I 85 for dr. Christian - ? error for Alex of Killichoan.Ğ/iğ
(1) "History of the Munros of Fowlis" by A. Mackenzie - Inverness (1898) - p.
Compiled and edited by Allen Alger, Genealogist, Clan Munro Association, USA
- [S668] RW Munro's Genealogy Database, Robert William Munro, (The collected genealogy notes of RW Munro, Hon. Historian of Clan Munro (Association) edited by Dr. Jean Munro, transcribed by Charles C. Munroe, III and others. Transcription completed Jan 2009. Original card file is kept at the "Storehouse of Foulis" near Foulis Castle in Scotland.), card 132, 422, 421 (Reliability: 0).
- [S432] Clan Munro e-files - Munro, Michael, Michael Munro, Email from Michael Munro - 11 Feb 2011 (Reliability: 3).