1750 - 1803
||Robert MONROE [1, 2, 3, 4] |
||, , , Scotland [2, 3]
||23 Apr 1803
||, Hampshire Co., Virginia, USA [1, 2, 3]
||15 May 2012 |
||Margaret GEARY, b. 1749, d. 12 Apr 1833, Zanesville, Muskingum Co., Ohio, USA |
|>||1. John MONROE, I, b. 9 Jan 1772, , , New Jersey, USA , d. 18 Jul 1862, , Shelby Co., Indiana, USA |
| ||2. Peter MONROE, b. 1774, , , New Jersey, USA , d. 27 May 1852, Union Twp., Ohio |
|>||3. Daniel MONROE, b. 6 Oct 1776, , , New Jersey, USA , d. 23 Sep 1845, Rich Hill Twp., Muskingum Co., Ohio |
| ||4. Peggy MONROE, b. Abt 1778, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. Betsey MONROE, b. 24 Mar 1779, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||6. William MONROE, b. 8 Sep 1783, Of, Boonsboro, Maryland , d. 29 May 1871|
|>||7. Joshua F. MONROE, b. 14 Jan 1786, Allegany Co., Maryland , d. 5 Jan 1874, Beaver, Pennsylvania |
|>||8. Robert MONROE, b. 1787, d. 27 Sep 1843, , , Iowa, USA |
|>||9. Caleb MONROE, b. 16 Feb 1788, Of, Muskingum Co., Ohio , d. 24 Jul 1844, , Morgan Co., Ohio, USA |
| ||10. Margaret MONROE, b. Abt 1790, d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||11. Andrew MONROE, b. 29 Oct 1792, , Hampshire Co., Virginia, USA , d. 18 Nov 1871, Mexico, Missouri |
||20 Jan 2009 |
- References differ on Robert's birthplace. Some say he came to New Jersey from Scotland with his parents. Others say he was born in New Jersey in about 1750. One reference says his father was a first cousin to President James Monroe, but unsubstantiated claims like this abound.
He had eleven or twelve children. Four of his sons became Methodist ministers.
He was supposed to have traded a yoke of oxen for a farm in New Jersey. But it proved to be on a mountain.
in 1785 or 1795, he moved to Allegany County, Maryland (one reference says Alleghany County, Virginia, and the Eldredge reference says it was probably Cumberland County). He bought property just across the Potomac River in Hampshire County, Virginia (now Mineral County or Hampshire County, West Virginia) and died in Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia). The property was sold by his son, Robert, in 1810.
One reference says his wife died in Rich Hill Township, Muskingum County, Ohio.
His mother's name may have been Mehitible.
Ref: Clan Munro files - Orr, Ruba Alta
- Locklar, Allene Kerr
- Lynn, Doris E.
- Mann, Esther
- Eldredge, Elizabeth - letter received 5 May 1996
"The Monroe Book" by Dr. Joan S. Guilford - New Jersey Unconnected Monroes
Compiled and edited by Allen Alger, Genealogist, Clan Munro Association, USA
- [S3] Clan Munro files - Keller, Ruth B., Ruth B. Keller, Letter from Ruth B. Keller to Charlotte Elder - 23 Feb 1973 (Reliability: 3).
- [S27] Clan Munro files - Barngrover, Debbie Monroe, Debbie Monroe Barngrover, Email received from Debbie Monroe Barngrover - 27 Jul 2000 (Reliability: 3).
- [S97] Clan Munro files - Bond, Idris Monroe, Idris Monroe Bond, Membership application for Idris Monroe Bond dated 23 Jun 2 001 (Reliability: 3).
- [S668] RW Munro's Genealogy Database, Robert William Munro, (The collected genealogy notes of RW Munro, Hon. Historian of Clan Munro (Association) edited by Dr. Jean Munro, transcribed by Charles C. Munroe, III and others. Transcription completed Jan 2009. Original card file is kept at the "Storehouse of Foulis" near Foulis Castle in Scotland.), card 394 (Reliability: 3).