Munro History...(Notice: Information on living people is not displayed at this time. Currently only being stored in our private master database.)
The origins of Clan Munro are lost in the distant past. By tradition, the early clan was made up of 11th Century mercenary soldiers from Ireland, they were granted lands in Ross by a grateful King after assisting him in defeating the Viking invaders of this part of Scotland.From documentary evidence they were well established by the middle of the 14th Century on the north shore of the Cromarty Firth in the area known as Ferindonald (Donald’s land) named after their legendary first chief. From this narrow base comprising the modern parishes of Kiltearn and Alness they gradually spread their sphere of influence northwards and eastwards into the fertile plain of Easter Ross.
They initially held land as vassals of the powerful Earls of Ross. On the forfeiture of that earldom they were loyal directly to the Crown. Their lands later became the Barony of Foulis (pronounced “fowls”) and thereafter the chief and his family were esignated “of Foulis”. The clan spread into Sutherland and were also given a charter for lands in Strathspey in 1309. The chiefs were Bailies to the Macdonalds, Earls of Ross and Lords of the Isles. Robert of Foulis supported Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn in 1314. Robert Mor, 15th chief, was a staunch supporter of Mary Queen of Scots and he received many favors from her son, James VI.